Sunday, June 3, 2012

More Than 3,000 Fans at Joshua's Sulphur Concert

Source: American Press



More than 3,000 people turned out Saturday afternoon for the Josh Ledet Picnic in the Square at Heritage Square in Sulphur.

Fans were treated to a free concert by Southwest Louisiana’s favorite “American Idol” contestant.

This was Ledet’s first performance in the area since he sang before a packed Burton Coliseum on May 12.

Sandra Abla arrived at the Square at 10:30 a.m. Saturday to make sure that she had a front-row seat. She describes herself as a “devoted Josh fan” and even runs the “Team Josh Ledet” Facebook group.

“I heard about it (the concert) yesterday. I went and packed my car immediately so I could leave straight from work and be here. I wasn’t missing it,” Abla said. “I’m his No. 1 fan.”

Saturday’s show was 14-year-old Brittney Betrand’s first concert. She said she had been a fan of Ledet since the beginning of his “American Idol” run and cried when she couldn’t get tickets to his performance at Burton Coliseum.

“I’ve never been to a concert in my life, and I’m just so excited,” Betrand said. “I will keep supporting Josh always.”

Ledet sang gospel music selections and songs made famous by Whitney Houston and Beyonce, as well as “Idol” fan favorites “When A Man Loves a Woman” and “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World.”

Rose Ann Henry came to the concert to make sure that Ledet knew he had a group of fans from DeQuincy.

“I’ve been a fan from the beginning. I’ve probably voted for him millions of times. Every time it let me go through I was voting,” Henry said. “I’m his best fan.”

Members of the local 4-Them Community Organization volunteered at the event and helped set up the stage and concession stands.

Randy Armelin, a member of the group and volunteer, said that the organization’s relationship with Ledet goes “way back.”

“Josh has been around for a long time. Our organization actually has a block party every Fourth of July and Josh sings at our block party,” Armelin said.

“We went to the pep rally, we went to the parade, to Burton Coliseum,” said Allison Malone, another member and volunteer. “We’re just so proud of him because he is such a humble young man. Regardless of whether he had made ‘American Idol’ or not, he’s still Southwest Louisiana’s idol.”



Ledet, a Westlake native, gathered a huge following from his hometown and surrounding area during his “American Idol” run. Ledet ended the show in third place behind Jessica Sanchez and winner Phillip Phillips.

Ledet and the rest of the top 10 “Idol” contestants will leave on a national “American Idol” concert tour July 6. The tour will stop in Lafayette on July 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am NOT Joshua Ledet! Personal messages to him will be deleted. Any inappropriate, spam, or silly comments will also be deleted. Thank you for understanding!